Red beets are a rich source of many vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. They also contain beta carotene.
Shred them raw or cooked for salads, pickle with vinegar and sugar, boil or roast.
Sold in a 3 lb bag.
ZUCCHINI BEET BREAD
2 Happy Hen eggs; large
1 cup organic sugar (coconut sugar use about ¾ cup)
1/2 cup coconut oiI (plus extra for greasing)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 zucchini; medium sized
1 locally grown beetroot; small
1 navel orange
3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 tsp Real Salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Mix of Sesame Seeds, Quinoa, Pumpkin Seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Line the loaf pan with parchment paper.
3. Heat a skillet on the stove top and place the grated coconut in a single layer. Let the coconut brown slightly. This would typically take a couple of minutes unless you use freshly grated coconut. If you are using freshly grated coconut, it will take a little longer. But make sure that you brown the coconut. Once browned, remove from heat and let it cool.
4. Grate the Zucchini and Beetroot on the large hole of the grater. You will need total of 1 cup of the combination. Zest the Navel Orange and set aside about a teaspoon of the rind.
5. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flours (all-purpose and whole wheat flour), toasted coconut, baking soda, baking powder, salt and Cinnamon.
6. In another large mixing bowl, beat the eggs using a hand mixer.
7. Add the oil and the sugar and beat well till the sugar is mixed well.
8. Mix Vanilla extract to the egg mixture.
9. Add the rind/zest and the grated Zucchini-Beetroot mix to the egg mixture.
10. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently using a whisk. Make sure that you do not over mix the wet and dry ingredients.
11. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the toppings listed in the Sprinkles section.
12. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
13. After a few minutes, remove from the loaf pan. Cool on a wire rack and cut into slices. Serve toasted with a pat of butter
Notes 1. Bake for another 5-10 minutes if there is batter on the tooth pick when you check for doneness.