Refined Coconut Oil - mild flavor.
Golden Barrel Coconut Oil can be used to replace butter or any other cooking oil in baking, cooking, or frying. It is a traditional favorite for enhancing flavor and texture and for preventing rancidity. Also ideal as a moisturizer right out of the jar or for making smooth soaps that won’t clog pores. Can be applied topically to skin to help with skin irritations.
Coconut oil will be a clear liquid above room temperature. Typically, the oil is white and opaque when below 76 degrees F.
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries made with Coconut Oil
Fried in coconut oil on the stove first, then finished in the oven, these sweet potato fries are not only tasty but they're a much healthier alternative to regular fries.
2 large Quail Cove organic sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 tablespoons Golden Barrel Coconut Oil
Salt & Pepper or your favorite seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Peel sweet potatoes, then cut into thin fry-shaped slices.
3. Fill a bowl with cold water and add sweet potato slices to the bowl. Let soak for an hour or overnight.
4. Drain water from bowl and rinse sweet potatoes with cold water. Place on dish towel and pat dry.
5. Measure out corn starch and place into a zip-top plastic bag. Add sliced sweet potatoes and shake until potatoes are evenly coated with corn starch. (You may have to do this in several batches, depending on the size of your sweet potatoes. Thus, add cornstarch as needed.)
6. Heat a large stainless (or cast iron) skillet on med-high (closer to high) heat, adding coconut oil to the skillet. Let oil heat up until you start to see smoke coming from skillet. Then carefully place sweet potatoes into the skillet, watching that the hot oil doesn't splash up and burn you. (Add more oil as needed.)
7. Stir fries until most are brown and crispy. Finish off in the oven (pan and all, if it's a metal pan) for about 10 minutes, stirring once.
8. Remove from oven, sprinkle seasoning of your choice over the fries and enjoy immediately.
Adapted from www.goldenbarrel.com