Thick cut bacon without nitrates.
1 lb Crabill’s Nitrate Free bacon, cut into 1” pieces 1 small organic onion, finely chopped
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup Brenneman’s Maple Syrup
1/3 cup Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp chili powder
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon to a towel-lined plate, reserving about 1 Tb of grease in the pan.
2. Reduce heat to medium low. Add shallots and onions to the pan stirring often, until the onions are caramelized- about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic, brown sugar, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, chili powder and cooked bacon. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid has reduced and thickened, and the onions are jammy- about 7-10 minutes.
4. Let cool before transferring to a jar.
5. Serve with crackers and cheese, or put on a burger. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of the Exeter Job Corp Academy
Picture courtesy of www.tastykitchen.com